Share TWO ideas for EACH of the following chapters in Anthony Weston’s A Rulebook for Arguments that you’ve learned, appreciated, or have questions about (a total of FOUR ideas).
- Chapter I: Short Arguments/Some General Rules
Read the annotated version of James R. Rogers’ “Liberty, Licentiousness, and the Pursuit of Happiness. After reading the annotations –
- What do you notice in the article, now, that you didn’t notice before?
- What is a key idea that sticks with you from his argument? Why?
- Would you change anything from your original response to his article? If so, what?
Read the following articles, and identify THREE cultural differences you find in them related to happiness. Explain each cultural difference by quoting a passage from the text, using a signal phrase and in-text citation followed by your own explanation. Include at least one quotation from each source.
- “How Cultural Differences Shape Your Happiness,” Newman
- “Concepts of Happiness Across Time and Cultures,” Oishi, et al. (excerpt only)