For this assignment we will discuss the percentage of climate scientists that agree that the globe is warming as a result of humans emitting greenhouse gases into the environment. Videos that will help with this discussion board are located here (5 and 7 minutes each):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvaGAEwxYs&index=2&list=PL-Xgw8LFaM3DqWBscgSyuDj-yg-EbT53xLinks to an external site.
· You may also find excellent arguments to help in your explanation by following this link: http://www.skepticalscience.com/97-percent-consensus-robust.htm (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
For your essay/blog on this discussion board, we would like you to find someone (real or imagined) that believes the globe is not warming based on the idea that scientists themselves cannot agree on what’s happening. Offer a response that addresses that viewpoint. Be sure to include:
1) A list of at least 10 scientific organizations that agree the humans are responsible and that climate change is occurring (make sure to include the IPCC and who they are!). Are there ANY scientific organizations that disagree? (5 pts).
2) Explain how media coverage presenting two sides to the debate can lead to the idea that there is not consensus (5 pts). For this point you may find this clip by John Oliver to be quite helpful:
· Climate Change Debate: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
3) And explain why we rely on experts in general – whether they be doctors or lawyers or building engineers. Can everyone really know all the facts? Why do we need experts? (5 pts).
Keep your writing clear and organized (3 pts) and provide substantive responses to at least two of your classmates (2 pts).
Please be sure to include ALL 3 points!