2. The Affordable Care Act (“ObamaCare”) has been both praised and vilified. Debate the pros and cons of this legislation and of health-care reform in general.
3. What is your vision of nursing’s future? How will you contribute to shaping it?
4. Interview a nurse educated in a diploma program at least 20 years ago.
a-How did that nurse’s education differ from your education today?
5. Locate the website of a professional organization related to nursing. Bring a copy of the organization’s mission, membership criteria, and standards of practice.
6. Ask five people of different ages and gender who do not work in the health-care field what they think most nurses do. Compile their answers with the answers your classmates collected and summarize them. Compare the summary to what you know nurses actually do.
a-Were the answers realistic?
b-Did they over- or underestimate the responsibilities most nurses have?
c-Did they recognize the wide variety of things nurses do?
d-Was there a difference by age or gender of the person answering the question?
e-What do the results tell you about the public’s image of nursing?
f-What do you think influences their image the most? Explain your answer.
7. Describe the nurse of the future.
a-What does he or she do?
b-Do you think nursing will become a more powerful force in health care?
c-Why or why not?