EFFECTS OF STINGING NETTLE LEAF EXTRACT ON PRESERVED FOOD BACTERIA
NAME:MURGOR CHEBET NAOMY
PROGRAMME:BACHELOR OF SCIENCE WITH EDUCATION.
- Food spoilage is a metabolic process that causes food to be undesirable or unacceptable for, Human consumption due to change in sensory characteristics
- Bacteria are single celled microbes, . The cell structure is simpler than that of other organisms .
- Stinging nettle is herbaceous perennial flowering plant in the family urticaceae.
- Bacteria-causing infections have developed resistance to antibiotics and heat destructions due to genetic mutations over time.
- Food are the major causative agents of Infections because they are easily contaminated when not well preserved.
- The control of food spoiling bacteria is justified in that it has got values that are added to the Society.
- The use of nettles leaf extracts is cheap and not harmful since it is natural.
OBJECTIVES AND HYPOTHESIS
- GENERAL OBJECTIVES
- To determine the bio-preservative effectiveness of stinging nettle leaf extracts
- SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
- To determine the antimicrobial activity of stinging nettle leaf extracts
- To determine existence of bacteria in preserved foods.
- HO.There was no relationship between stinging nettle leaf extracts and bacteria
- H1.There was relationship between the stinging nettle leaf extracts and bacteria.
STUDY AREA AND SAMPLING DESIGN
- The study was carried out at Karatina university main campus laboratory
- Choosing this area was due to availability of stinging nettle around the school and the ,availability of laboratory for culturing of bacteria and extraction of nettles components
- SAMPLING DESIGN
- Research project consists of procedures that was used to test the predicted relationship of natural Phenomena thus providing answers on how the variable under the study was defined, Measured and related to each other.
- Data was collected from the action of stinging nettle extracts against the cultured bacteria strains.
- Data collection involved observation and analysing the result that were obtained to gather Information.
- The bacteria strains was subjected to nettle leaf extracts of ethyl acetate and hexane Methods. Minimum inhibitory concentrations and minimum bactericidal concentration.
- Zone of inhibitions were observed and measured in each petri dish.
Ethyl acetate extract on two S.aureus plate and one E.coli plate.
- Hexane extract on two E.coli plates and one S.aureus plate
- Antibacterial activity of ethyl acetate extract of nettle and hexane methods against some food bacterial at 10 mg/ml showed in table
|Diameter of inhibition zone(mm)
|Ethyl acetate extract(10mg/ml)