Creating a Team-Value System
Values are the core of humanity, and they drive behaviors in situations people face in all aspects of life. This assignment is mostly a reflection of your experience in seeking further understanding of others, and it will help you connect behaviors to values.
Read the paper on “Leading Sustainable Change Through Self-Discovery: A Values Accountability System Defined” (Sun, 2007). Click here to download the paper. Using one of the three teams you selected for the Week 1 final project assignment, follow the values accountability process to establish a values statement for your team.
In this exercise, gather the values systems of at least three other team members (see Step 3 of the Values Accountability System). If one of the three teams you selected in Week 1 is not convenient for the project, discuss alternatives with your instructor early in the week.
Prepare a three to four page paper using Microsoft Word. Your paper should cover the following:
- How does the current team environment enable or challenge the process defined by the VAsys?
- How challenging was it to ask about the values of your peers?
- How much agreement did you find on the surface of the values (level of individual congruence)?
- How many differences were there in the interpretations of the same values?
- Were there any major surprises? Explain.
- How challenging was the process of coming to a consensus on top values shared by the team?
- How do the values reflect team norms?