Draft a response to each of the bulleted questions below. Each question must have its own response and have a minimum of 75 words.
1. Unlike individual incentive programs, group and companywide incentive programs reward individuals based on group (e.g., cost savings in a department) and companywide (e.g., profits) performance standards, respectively. Under group and companywide incentive programs, it is possible for poor performers to benefit without making substantial contributions to group or company goals. What can companies do to ensure that poor performers do not benefit?
2. Group incentive programs are most effective when all group members have some impact on achieving the goal, even though individual contributions might not be equal. What has been your experience with team work and achieving better outcomes than working individually?
3. Martocchio (2015) stated 3 conditions are needed for individual incentives to work well: 1) Work must be objectively measurable, 2) Employees must have sufficient control over work outcomes, 3) Incentives should not produce unhealthy competition that will result in poor quality.
4. What has been your own observation about employee behavior under individual incentive programs?
5. Person-focused pay programs are not suitable for all kinds of jobs. Based on your understanding of person-focused pay concepts, identify at least three jobs for which this basis for pay is inappropriate. Be sure to provide your rationale, given the information in this chapter.
6. Martocchio (2015) stated that person-focused pay encourages employees to learn to do many parts or elements in production or have skills that are vertical. Martocchio went on to say that this is necessary in order to meet demands for technological innovation and pressures from global competition. What are benefits of person focused pay to the employee?
7. Identify and summarize three broad classes of health insurance programs.
8. Why do many managers say that job analysis is a colossal waste of their time and time of their employees? Are they right?
9. Father Michael’s Wraps (pitas, wraps, flat breads) is experiencing turnover in the
range of 100 percent. Most of this occurs in the first 18 months of employment.
How would you determine if this turnover rate is high? How would you justify to
your boss that lower turnover is strategically important? What would you look at in
both pay and other forms of rewards to identify ways of reducing turnover? Justify