For your primary post, please respond to one of the following three topics with a post of at least 125 words that addresses each point given in the instructions. Also, please reply to at least one fellow student on any topic.
: The Hawaiian Bobtail Squid and its bacterial endosymbiont. In a 4-minute video clip (1), Bonnie Bassler explains the relationship between the Hawaiian Bobtail squid and it’s endosymbiont, the bacterium Vibrio fisheri. Answer the following two questions about this arrangement:
- (a) What are the main characteristics of the partnership between these two species?
- (b) How does each species benefit?
Topic 2 [article]. Virus Reassortment and the Alaska Connection Read the article from MIT News (2) about tracking the spread of bird flu. Address the following:
- (a) The article (2) describes genetic reassortment of influenza viruses. Explain how genetic reassortment works and what the significance of it is for humans and for domestic fowl.
- (b) The article (2) explains that one way that influenza strains enters North America is through Alaska. Explain how that works and what the significance of it is for humans and for domestic fowl.
Topic 3 [article]: Endophytes that benefit plants. Read reference (3) or reference (4) or another article of your choosing about the relationship between plants and their endophytes. .
- (a) Describe what an endophyte is and give a specific example.
- (b) Provide an example of at least one beneficial effect of certain endophytes on their plant hosts.