Primary Source Analysis 2: Compare and Contrast
You will select TWO primary source that deal with the course and write a 700-word analysis, comparing and contrasting the documents. The assignment is worth twenty-five (25) points.
1. Read the following website that deals with the differences between primary and secondary sources. http://library.ucsc.edu/help/howto/distinguish-between-primary-and-secondary-sources
2. Read the following website that deals with critical analysis.
3. Select one of the following pairs of primary sources:
Tulsa Riot 2
Equal Rights Amendment 1
Equal Rights Amendment 2
Reproductive Politics 1
Reproductive Politics 2
Great Depression 1
Great Depression 2
4. In your analysis, you should discuss the following:
a. what the authors argued or described
b. how the authors presented his/her argument or interpretation
c. why the authors chose that method of presentation and persuasion (in other words, what did the author view as the evidence and arguments that would most likely persuade his/her audience, what assumptions did the author expect his/her audience shared, and what assumptions did the author challenge)
d. what the authors ultimately hoped to achieve by writing the text.
5. You should write in the past tense.
6. You should begin with an introductory paragraph that argues a point and tells the reader what you will tell them. Then you should write a body of three or four paragraphs that support your argument. Finally, you must include a conclusion that tells the reader what you told them i.e. recaps the content of the analysis.
7. Please use a title page and begin your introduction at the top of page 1. You should use standard margins and fonts.
8. You may not block quote or quote from the document excessively. Instead, you should paraphrase i.e. put things in your own words.
9. Please use Chicago Manual of Style citation rules http://www.libs.uga.edu/ref/chicago2009.pdf.