Read the U.S. Supreme Court decisions in the following cases:
- Roe v. Wade, 410 US 113 (1973)
- Planned Parenthood of Southern PA v. Casey, 505 US 833 (1992)
The Court, in Planned Parenthood v. Casey, appeared to move away from the trimester framework and focused more on previability verses postviability for statutes that regulate abortions. The Court also adopted an undue burden test.
Focus your discussion on the following:
- Do you agree or disagree with the Court’s analysis in Casey and its ruling on the Pennsylvania statute? Provide your legal reasons. Explain why.
- Choose 1 of the following extension activities:
- Locate an organization that aligns with your views on abortion. Discuss the organization, and provide its Web site.
- Locate the statute concerning abortion from your jurisdiction. Summarize the statute, and discuss whether you believe that it complies with the Casey decision.
Be sure to properly cite all sources.
Oyez. (n.d.). Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey. Retrieved from https://www.oyez.org/cases/1991/91-744
Oyez. (n.d.). Roe v. Wade.Retrieved from https://www.oyez.org/cases/1971/70-18