Assignment 3: The Value of Fair Treatment in the Workplace Due Week 10 and worth 280 points
You have been hired as a Management Consultant by a large company to examine the business decisions of the company in regards to employee protections. The laws applicable are federal anti-discrimination laws, federal health and safety laws and employer firing practices related to the employment-at-will doctrine.
In relation to the three questions below, write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
1. Analyze, identify and explain recent legislation, within the last 10 years, that helps to protect employees from discrimination in the workplace. Provide at least two federal legislative protections. Provide some insight when the federal legislation conflicts with the state.
2. Explain the Employment at Will Doctrine and ALL the exceptions to the Doctrine. Look at the scenarios below and determine whether the decision to fire the employee is a smart one. Identify why or why not and determine all the possible exceptions per the EAW Doctrine that is applicable, might be or could be applicable if the employee sues for wrongful termination.
· Brenda, a manager, started a blog on the company website for employee grievances. She noticed a worker was protesting that no Asian American employees had gotten a raise in two (2) years at the company. The worker also criticized how much the CEO made and how the CEO was “out-of-touch.” Brenda reprimanded the worker. The next day, the worker talked to her fellow co-workers about forming a union. Brenda subsequently fired the worker.
· Jason, a department supervisor, requests approval to fire his secretary. Alice, his secretary, a devout Christian woman, was putting out Right-to-Life flyers in the employee break room. Alice was also taking time out to pray each day during the busiest time of the morning.
· Brian, head of Accounting, refused to sign Lori’s leave request for jury duty. Lori is a tax attorney in his department. Brian wants to fire Lori for being absent without permission during their most busy time – tax season.
· Peter has worked for the company for 1 year. He has a rare form of liver disease and works with chemicals that make his condition worse. Peter does not want to stop working but his boss is not happy with his performance and wants to let him go.
3. Determine the federal law in regards to undocumented workers and whether they are eligible for state workers’ compensation in the United States. Advocate for or against this practice and substantiate your response with research to support your position.
4. Use the textbook and at least two (2) other quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources. Textbook for this class is a required source for this assignment.
· This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Analyze and apply the concepts of ethical decision making, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility.
· Analyze and evaluate the employment-at-will doctrine and the statutory protections afforded employees.
· Analyze and evaluate federal law in regards to discrimination and health and safety in the workplace
· Use technology and information resources to research issues in law, ethics, and corporate governance.
· Write clearly and concisely about law, ethics, and corporate governance using proper writing mechanics.