Conflict occurs when two or more individuals perceive a situation differently and at least one person’s perception is that he or she has been negatively affected. In fact, conflict can occur at any time, in any situation, and often at the worst possible time. When a group or team is working toward a goal and conflict erupts the process can come to a halt until the conflict is resolved. For the following questions take into consideration a conflict that you have experienced in your workplace.
This DB has two parts:
- What role does differing behavioral styles play in a conflict?
- Discuss the five methods of conflict resolution discussed by DuBrin (2001). What are the pros and cons of each of the following?
- Confront the issue directly.
- Receive criticism objectively and dispassionately while seeking clarification.
- Recognize all parties’ points of view.
- Mentally convert negative aspects to positive ones.
- Negotiate and bargain.