1. What should Pignatelli Do? What would you do and why?
2. Pignatelli seems to be leaning in the direction of hiring a consultant, who might
use part of the money for bribes. If Pignatelli does not pay the bribes directly,
does this absolve him of responsibility?
3. Bribes are illegal in Italy. Even if bribes are common practice there, does this
justify paying them?
4. Does Pignatelli have a responsibility to Italian citizens to build an environmentally
friendly refinery above and beyond what is required by law? Is it appropriate for
Gulf to spend this extra money and essentially take it away from shareholders?
5. How would you feel if you were a lower-level employee in the company and
learned that Pignatelli intended to pay bribes to get things “debottelnecked?”
what would your ethical obligations be? Should you ignore the situation or
confront Pignatelli? Should you inform your direct boss or go to the media?