Although analyzing statistical data can be challenging, it is equally challenging to convert these data into a written format. Therefore, in this activity, you will practice the important skill of data analysis and presenting statistical information in a written format. Using the provided datasets of offenses reported, calculate the mean, median, mode, max, min, and range for each of the crimes. The list of crimes includes violent crime total, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, legacy rape, revised rape, robbery, aggravated assault, property crime total, burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft.
The specific steps are as follows:
- Download 1 of the following datasets of offenses from the Uniform Crime Report:
- Accomack County Sheriff’s Office
- Honolulu Police Department
- Los Angeles Police Department
- Calculate the mean, median, mode, max, min, and range for each of the following:
- Violent crime total
- Murder and non-negligent manslaughter
- Legacy rape
- Revised rape
- Aggravated assault
- Property crime total
- Motor vehicle theft
- Write 1 paragraph for each of the crimes, where you present the statistical results to the reader in a written format.
U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics. (2017). Welcome to a new way to access UCR statistics. Retrieved from https://www.ucrdatatool.gov/