A. popular religion.
B. civil religion.
C. conservative religiosity. D. sham religiosity.
2. Which four factors were responsible for the creation of economy as a separate social institution? A. Industrial technology, specialized work, permanent settlements, and stratification
B. Agricultural technology, specialized work, permanent settlements, and stratification
C. Industrial technology, specialized work, permanent settlements, and trade
D. Agricultural technology, specialized work, permanent settlements, and trade
3. Which of the following is a principle of the holistic approach to medicine?
A. Treat patients as people.
B. Emphasize the importance of medication to treat illnesses.
C. Adopt the spirit of euthanasia in the treatment of terminal disease.
D. Encourage patient responsibility for self-diagnosis.
4. Regarding problems in American schools, which of the following statements is true? A. Most observers feel that schools are effective in promoting discipline.
B. In most cases, the conditions within schools encourage violence.
C. The bureaucratic structure of schools promotes student passivity.
D. The passivity common in secondary schools isn’t found in college classrooms.
5. The pluralist model of the distribution of power is linked most closely to the _______ perspective. A. sociobiological
6. Regarding eating disorders and obesity, which of the following statements is true?
A. Most who suffer from anorexia nervosa are from working-class families. B. Obesity is increasing even though meals are getting smaller.
C. Obesity is the most serious of the eating-related disorders.
D. About 60 percent of white women are afflicted with an eating disorder.
7. Which of the following is true in the United States? A. Interlocking directorates are illegal.
B. Oligopolies are legal.
C. Monopolies are legal.
D. Conglomerates are considered unethical.
8. In the view of Max Weber, the routinization of _______ often leads to institutionalization that combines bureaucracy and _______.
A. traditional authority; rationalization B. traditional authority; coercion
C. charisma; coercion
D. charisma; tradition
9. The structural-functional, macro-level approach specifies _______ as a function of the family. A. ethnic solidarity
B. material and emotional security
D. property inheritance
10. Regarding types of religious organizations, which of the following statements is true? A. The Amish community is among America’s most populous cults.
B. A formal church is always aligned with the state.
C. Denominations reject religious pluralism.
D. Christianity began as a cult.
11. In the structural-functional perspective, which of the following would be considered a latent function of education?
A. Child care
B. Social integration C. Social placement D. Cultural innovation
12. For Emile Durkheim, distinguishing the _______ from the _______ is the essence of religious belief.
A. sacred; profane
B. spiritual; physical
C. true; false
D. parent; child
13. Which of the following statements is a characteristic particular to the postindustrial economy? A. Mechanical skills are replaced by literacy skills.
B. Manufacturing and mass production proliferate.
C. New sources of energy are exploited.
D. Specialization characterizes the division of labor.
14. Taking a global and historical perspective, it turns out that the most frequently observed form of marriage is
A. endogamy. B. exogamy. C. monogamy. D. polygyny.
15. John Dewey, an American philosopher of education, argued in favor of what he called progressive education. How does Dewey define progressive education?
A. Students’ progress should be evaluated through periodic testing.
B. Schooling should teach students to think independently and question authority. C. Schooling should be practical and relevant to students’ lives.
D. Students should progress from grade to grade based on scholastic achievement.
16. In his critique of American education, James Coleman referred to the importance of families who read to their children, value learning, and encourage imagination. What did Coleman call these valuable characteristics of family life?
A. Family infrastructure
B. Intellectual infrastructure C. Cultural capital
D. Social capital
17. Studies have determined that higher levels of religiosity are correlated with A. faith in science.
B. moderate levels of patriarchy.
C. low rates of delinquency.
D. high rates of divorce.
18. In the United States, declining worker membership in unions mainly reflects A. the decline of wage labor.
B. a shrinking industrial sector.
C. a shift to primary-sector production.
D. the decline of service-sector employment.
19. Which of the following statements is most consistent with sociological findings? A. The vast majority of divorced fathers faithfully fulfill their child-support obligations.
B. In today’s economy, women are increasingly dependent on their husband’s income.
C. Individualism is generally associated with family violence. D. Divorce is most common during the early years of marriage.
20. The Thomas theorem stems from the __________ perspective. A. structural-functional