Which of the following is a renewable resource?
B. Fossil fuels
2. Which of the following examples of an ecological study involves the ecosystem level of organization?
A. The effects of competition on survival
B. The effects of a disease on population size
C. The effects of an invasive plant species on bird nesting sites
D. The effects of human activities on biogeochemical cycling
3. The nitrogen utilized by most plants is derived from
A. the atmosphere.
B. nitrogen gas.
D. decayed organic matter.
4. Which one of the following conditions is an example of resource partitioning?
A. A species of butterfly and a species of bee that pollinate the same flower
B. Two species of birds that eat fruit from the same tree
C. Two species of squirrels—one that eats acorns from the branches and one that eats acorns that have fallen to the ground
D. Two species of mice—one that eats seeds and the other that eats insects
5. Which one of the following phrases describes many countries within Asia and Africa?
A. LDCs experiencing rapid population growth
B. LDCs experiencing slow population growth
C. MDCs experiencing rapid population growth
D. MDCs experiencing slow population growth
6. A source from which organisms generally take elements is called a/an
B. biotic community.
C. exchange pool.
D. food web.
7. Which of the following was one result of the Green Revolution?
A. An increased reliance on polyculture agriculture
B. The protection of species diversity
C. An increase in the yield of crops for less-developed countries
D. The conservation of topsoil
8. Which one of the following interspecies relationships has a negative effect on both species?
9. Which of the following factors will have a greater impact on a population as the density of that
A. Natural disaster
10. Study the following food chain: grass → snakes → rabbits → hawks. From this chain, you can
correctly assume that each population
A. is a carnivore.
B. is always larger than the one before it.
C. is a species of herbivore.
D. supports the next trophic level.
11. The life history pattern in which population growth is logistic is called
A. biotic potential.
B. opportunistic pattern.
C. equilibrium pattern.
D. population density.
12. Modern fishing practices threaten biodiversity mainly through the
A. accidental capture of unwanted species.
B. chemical poisoning of the water.
C. physical destruction of marine habitats.
D. removal of community food supplies.
13. In which of the following relationships do both species benefit?
End of exam
14. A complex of interconnected food chains in an ecosystem is called a/an
A. food web.
C. ecological pyramid.
D. trophic stack.
15. Which of the following doesn’t describe an MDC?
A. It’s highly industrialized.
B. It has undergone the demographic transition.
C. Its age structure diagram resembles a pyramid.
D. It generally experiences replacement reproduction